home > paid book/ebook
What Your Third Grader Needs to Know (Revised Edition): Fundamentals of a Good Third-Grade Education (Core Knowledge Series)
Give your child a smart start with
What Your Third Grader Needs to Know
What should your child learn in the third grade? How can you help him or her at home? This book answers these important questions and more, offering the specific shared knowledge that thousands of parents and teachers across the nation have agreed upon for American third graders. Featuring sixteen pages of full-color illustrations, a bolder, easier-to-follow format, and a thoroughly updated curriculum, What Your Third Grader Needs to Know is designed for parents and teachers to enjoy with children. Hundreds of thousands of children have benefited from the Core Knowledge Series. This edition gives today’s third graders the advantage they need to make progress in school and to establish an approach to learning that will last a lifetime. In this book you’ll discover
• Favorite poems—old and new, from the traditional Mother Goose rhyme “For Want of Nail” to Lewis Carroll’s whimsical poem “The Crocodile”
• Literature—from around the world, including Native American stories, African folktales, European fairy tales, classic myths from ancient Greece, stories from ancient Rome, and more
• Learning about language—the basics of written English, including sentence structure, parts of speech, and a first look at writing a report or letter
• World and American history and geography—journey down the great rivers of Europe, Africa, Asia, and Australia, visit ancient Rome, and experience the earliest days of America with the Pilgrims and Native Americans
• Visual arts—an introduction to masterworks by Rembrandt, Henri Matisse, Mary Cassatt, and others, with full-color reproductions and fun, do-it-yourself activities
• Music—the fundamentals of appreciating, reading, and making music, plus great composers, instruments, and sing-along lyrics for songs such as “A Bicycle Built for Two” and “He’s Got the Whole World in His Hands”
• Math—stimulating lessons ranging from counting money to solving division problems, numbers through 100,000, graphs, and the metric system
• Science—fascinating discussions on the natural world, the cycles of life, the human body and its systems, and the environment, with accompanying activities and stories about famous scientists such as Copernicus and Alexander Graham Bell
Just as good as the other books in the series
By Jane James "homeschoolmum"
- January 6, 2002
Parental spelling errors aside, this series is a very good foundation for a thorough education.Each book in the series covers the basic subjects (language arts, math, science, geography, world civilization, American civilization and fine arts.) It is not intended to be a child's only source of materials, but rather a guideline for what should be covered each year.I would not imagine that a child would sit down with the book and read through it; that is not actually the intention of the editor. Rather, it covers the basic subjects and give further resources where the parent or teacher can find more information on the subjects. As any reviewer of this book should have read, in the Introduction, the editor writes, "The books in this series are designed to be useful tools for parents and teachers, both at home and in school. They are called 'resources' to signal that they do not replace the regular local school curriculum, but rather serve as aids to help children gain some of... read more
- September 28, 2000
I am a home schooler with an eleven year old. I started homeschooling my child last year. I found, finding descent curriculums to be quite a challenge. I discovered the Core Knowledge series before the beginning of this school year. I purchased the fifth and sixth grade editions. However, when I went through the third grade edition I was amazed. I would like to see an average third grader, in these United States, that has the basis of what is in this book. Of course many people will find fault with it, as all people do. Whites will think it is minority favored, women will think it is male biased, and minorities will think it is lacking in their cultural history. Being a female of American Indian and multicultural background, I find the Core Knowledge series to be well rounded. I found the literature and history sections to be quite compelling. It is based on the literature that we grew up with. You might not agree with the choice of tales, but they are part of our... read more
I found this book very helpfull.
- May 29, 1999
My son is in a public school that has breaks and half-day school almost every week. This book helped me figure out what he really needed to know at his level and in those breaks we were able to complete most of them for him to remain at his grade level compared to the private schools. Plus it encouraged him to read about other books with similar topics. However, I wish the author could site some further references for the curious minds. Overall this book is very essential.
$1.27 - $18.99
This brand-new and important workbook gives parents easy-to-apply methods for educating their sixth-grade children, whether as home schoolers with parents taking full control of their child’s ...
$0.01 - $18.99
A brand-new title in this important series gives parents easy-to-apply methods for helping to educate their children who are starting in the first grade. It's a combination manual and advice book, ...
$0.85 - $18.99
"A brand-new title in this important series gives parents easy-to-apply methods for helping to educate their children who are starting in the fourth grade. It's a combination manual and advice book, ...
$10.70 - $24.99
No matter what your age or marital status, someone in your family will be affected by probate in one way or another. Julie Jason's Guide to Connecticut Probate: What Every Connecticut Family Needs to ...
$5.42 - $28.99
Listen to and communicate with your horse-successfully"This is a book for everyone who has ever looked at the constantly increasing list of methods and systems marketed as 'horsemanship' ...
$20.70 - $21.01
The content of tests can be puzzling to students and teachers alike. While a state test purports to measure the curriculum, often the curriculum standards seem mysterious as well—written in ...
Making the Grade: Everything Your 5th Grader Needs to Know, by Ermitage
$30.67 - $34.95
Significantly revised and updated, the new third edition of the best-selling Newborn Intensive Care: What Every Parent Needs to Know is an essential resource for any parent with a premature infant. ...
$10.93 - $99.60
Fundamentals of Special Education: What Every Teacher Needs to Know gathers into one source the critical information needed to understand students with ...
$7.00 - $14.99
Experience the Lifelong Pleasures of Knowing God!Satisfaction…Happiness…Joy. According to John Piper, the pursuit of pleasure in God is not only permissible, it’s ...