home > paid book/ebook
What Your Sixth Grader Needs to Know (Revised) (The Core Knowledge)
What should your child learn in the sixth grade? How can you help him or her at home? This book answers these important questions and more, offering the specific shared knowledge that thousands of parents and teachers across the nation have agreed upon for American sixth graders. Featuring sixteen pages of full-color illustrations, a bolder, easier-to-follow format, and a thoroughly updated curriculum, What Your Sixth Grader Needs to Know, Revised Edition, is designed for parents and teachers to enjoy with children. Hundreds of thousands of children have benefited from the Core Knowledge Series. This revised edition gives a new generation of sixth graders the advantage they need to make progress in school today, and to establish an approach to learning that will last a lifetime. Discover:
• Favorite Poems—old and new, from Edgar Allan Poe’s classic “The Raven” to Maya Angelou’s “Woman Work”
• Literature—from around the world, including Homer’s epics the Iliad and the Odyssey, Shakespeare’s Julius Caesar, and Mark Twain’s The Prince and the Pauper
• Learning About Language—he rules of written English, including the four kinds of sentences, common English sayings and phrases, plus an introduction to Greek and Latin roots
• History and Geography—world history from ancient Greece and the fall of the Roman Empire to the Enlightenment and the French Revolution; American history of the post—Civil War era, including the Industrial Revolution, immigration, urbanization, and reform
• Visual Arts—a brief history of art, stretching from the classical period through the Renaissance, Baroque, and Romantic periods all the way to the age of realism, with full-color reproductions and discussions of great works by artists such as El Greco, Rembrandt, and Winslow Homer
• Music—understanding and appreciating music, including musical notation, chords, and scales—plus biographies of great composers such as Handel, Haydn, Mozart, Beethoven, and Chopin
• Math—challenging lessons, ranging from probability and statistics, geometry, ratios and proportions to basic pre-algebra
• Science—fascinating discussions of plate tectonics, oceans, astronomy, the environment, the human body, and the immune system—plus short biographies of great scientists such as Marie Curie
Useful resource for homeschooling
By B. Bintrim
- April 28, 2009
My oldest daughter is finishing fifth grade, and we have used The Core Knowledge books for every year up to this point. Because we are homeschooling, we feel that reading through these books gives us confidence that we are keeping up with what might be expected of a student of a particular grade.
Wanting to get a jump on the next level, my daughter read through What Your Sixth Grader Needs to Know over the past two weeks. You might want to be aware of some errors. In the math section on page 269, an addition problem is written with a minus sign, and the wrong answer is given in Step 2. At the top of page 271, we read, "In the following diagram line ZC is parallel to line TS, or line ZC is parallel to line TS." There is also an error in an illustration in the science section on page 328. Two cans of soda are pictured on scales with an earthly landscape behind each with a caption indicating that the can of soda would weigh less on the moon than it does on earth. We are... read more
a wonderful book
By Maggie Rice
- March 22, 2008
I bought this book to prepare my child for Beestar online tests for sixth graders. Due to the vast differences among schools and teachers in teaching science and social studies, students often receive a rather unbalanced treatment of the subjects in their classroom. This book comes as a rescue of the situation. It tells you clearly what your child needs to know as a sixth grader. My child studied several important chapters from this book that somehow were never taught by his teachers. And yes the knowledge is essential and is needed in state standardized tests.
I highly recommend this book for aiding in the preparation for any general knowledge test. It takes you all the way through iambic pentameter to Benito Juarez. The math and science sections are wonderful as well. It provides very complex information in a very user-friendly manner. I'm very glad that we had this book.
- July 24, 2009
I have been homeschooling my youngest since he was in 3rd grade. Every year I use this series as part of our weekly curriculum. We take all school year to read through the book as we are in no rush. I don't depend on this book solely of course, but it is a great base to work from. I'm only sorry it doesn't extend through 8th grade.
$0.01 - $18.99
A brand-new title in this important series gives parents easy-to-apply methods for helping to educate their children who are starting in the first grade. It's a combination manual and advice book, ...
$0.85 - $18.99
"A brand-new title in this important series gives parents easy-to-apply methods for helping to educate their children who are starting in the fourth grade. It's a combination manual and advice book, ...
$5.42 - $28.99
Listen to and communicate with your horse-successfully"This is a book for everyone who has ever looked at the constantly increasing list of methods and systems marketed as 'horsemanship' ...
$1.49 - $18.99
This brand-new and important workbook gives parents easy-to-apply methods for educating their third-grade children, whether as home schoolers with parents taking full control of their child's ...
$10.70 - $24.99
No matter what your age or marital status, someone in your family will be affected by probate in one way or another. Julie Jason's Guide to Connecticut Probate: What Every Connecticut Family Needs to ...
$20.70 - $21.01
The content of tests can be puzzling to students and teachers alike. While a state test purports to measure the curriculum, often the curriculum standards seem mysterious as well—written in ...
Making the Grade: Everything Your 5th Grader Needs to Know, by Ermitage
$14.92 - $42.50
This accessible and practical text offers mainstream classroom teachers a comprehensive resource on educating English language learners (ELLs) successfully. The Second ...
$2.30 - $29.99
In The Next Boom, Jack W. Plunkett, widely followed analyst and CEO of Plunkett Research, Ltd., persuasively demonstrates the emerging trends, technologies and changes that will lead to a new ...
$7.50 - $28.49
Not for ESOL Teachers: What Every Classrom Teacher Needs to Know about the Linguistically, Culturally, and Ethnically Diverse Student, by Whelan-Ariza