home > paid book/ebook
Yankees Century: 100 Years of New York Yankees Baseball
The best-selling definitive narrative history of the world's greatest sporting franchise.
Pinstripes and pennants. Aprils and Octobers. The House That Ruth Built in the city that never sleeps. A century of greatness embodied in one city and its team. Over the past one hundred years, the New York Yankees have dominated baseball as no team has ever dominated another sport. They have won 38 pennants and 26 world championships. More often than not, they have shown just how the game is supposed to be played. Ruth, Gehrig, DiMaggio, Mantle, Mattingly, Jeter -- dozens of legendary players have worn the signature NY proudly. They have provided the very definition of a dynasty. But it hasn't always been that way, and it has never been easy.
Yankees Century: 100 Years of New York Yankees Baseball chronicles the full history of this storied franchise, with the most compelling and authoritative narrative of the team ever written, more than 250 stunning photographs, and essays by some of the game's colorful scribes. Here you'll read about the unlikely scheme to build a ballpark in Manhattan atop solid rock, the magic of the Bambino rounding the bases, the stately DiMaggio taking the field, Lou Gehrig's poignant goodbye, Yogi Berra's hilarious verbal gaffes, Jack Chesbro's legendary spitball, Derek Jeter's mind-bending plays, and much more. Yankees Century takes you on an unforgettable journey through time and shows how the Bronx Bombers have managed to win again and again.
More than a story of the New York Yankees, this is the saga of baseball in America. A must-have for any student of the sport, this indispensable volume is the guide to baseball greatness, a lasting record of a city and its team.
By A Customer
- October 30, 2002
I was led to this book by a recent review by Eric Neel on ESPN.com. He wrote, "It says here that 14 percent of Americans root for the Yankees and the other 86 percent root for their demise. No fence sitting ; you're in or you're out with the Yanks.I'm sure the 14 percent have this book already and that they're reading it aloud to their kids every night before bed, wiping tears from the kids' faces, letting them know how deep and wide the Yankees history is.If you're the other 86 percent, you ought to be reading it too. First, because there's something devilishly satisfying in reading about the early days, when the team was nearly shut out of Manhattan, playing on a sloppy, cobbled together frield with a sawamp in right. Second, because as you turn the pages you come to realize that from DiMaggio to Mantle, from Bucky Dent to Reggie to Paul O'Neill and El Duque, these guys and the things they've done (sometimes to you, sometimes in spite of you) are part of your history,... read more
Best of the Bunch
By A Customer
- January 23, 2003
I'll have to agree with Book Magazine on this one, which named this book one of the best sports books of 2002. Of all the Yankee books out this year (and there are many), this is clearly the best, combining hundreds of stunning photographs with what is easily the most detailed and comprehensive history of this team ever written. Quite simply, it makes all the other Yankee books out there seem as if they were written for children. That's not to say this is a tough read or anything, but it is a comprehensive book that you can spend days and weeks with, and is critical when it needs to be. I also think it's the only Yankee book in recent memory that contains anything NEW - there are literally dozens of stories in here that don't appear elsewhere, like the story about why Boston sold Ruth (it's no curse SOx fans). It is particularly good with early Yankee history and the last decade, both of which are rarely written about in other books at all. There are also essays by people like... read more
Essential Reading for Yankee Fans
By A Customer
- September 2, 2002
First, despite the size of this book it isn't an encyclopedia and even though there are hundreds of great pictures, it isn't really a coffee table book either or a book of mostly pictures not worth reading, although the photos are great! What it is is a serious but very readable book, the best (and longest, believe me) history of the Yanks ever written. As a SABR member I'm certain there's never been a book about the Yankees like it beofre. Their other book, Red Sox Century is supposed to be just as good. I haven't read it yet but I will now.I heard about this one at the SABR convention, where I one of the authors gave a talk about how the Yankees really got Babe Ruth, and on ESPN, which ran a story from the book, about how the Yankees almost moved to Boston after buying the Babe, which was news to me. Now that I have read the whole book I'm not disappointed, and there are many other untold stories from beginning to end. I can't think of another Yankee book that is as... read more
$7.25 - $16.99
The birdwatchers of Central Park were buzzing–a young red-tailed hawk had been spotted, would he stay? The bird they dubbed Pale Male not only stayed, he became one of New York City’s ...
$7.88 - $29.95
Long before Bruce Weber or Herb Ritts picked up a camera, there was a photographer whose images glorified the male nude. But Alonzo Hanagan, better known as Lon of New York, was working during the ...
$19.56 - $40.00
The Greatest Good is a compelling photographic history of forestry in the United States. This new edition, which inaugurates the centennial year of the USDA Forest Service, celebrates 100 ...
$109.14 - $109.95
100 Years of Spanish Cinema provides an in-depth look at the most important movements, films, and directors of twentieth-century Spain from the silent era to the present day.: A Glossary of Film ...
For the bicentennial of its original publicationthe first full-length book from the father of the American short story. In 1809, New Yorkers were buzzing about a series of classified ads ...
$16.99 - $26.78
For the last two decades, The New York Observer has documented the Platinum Age of New York, when the city's new elite rose and dominated society, media, business, and culture with an amusing ...
$18.99 - $19.50
An award-winning sportswriter takes you inside a year with the nations top high school chess team. With strict admission standards and a progressive curriculum, Brooklyns Edward R. Murrow High School ...
$13.43 - $19.99
The City College of New York, founded in 1847 as the Free Academy, began as an educational and political experiment. The campus provided the setting for dynamic interaction between generations of ...
$20.25 - $44.99
This is the first guide yet produced to the amphibians and reptiles of New York State, a large and heavily populated state that hosts a surprisingly diverse and interesting community of amphibians ...
$0.01 - $24.99
500 Years of New Words takes you on an exciting journey through the English language from the days before Shakespeare to the first decade of the 21st century. All the main entries are ...