Mackerel is a fish found abundantly in Goa. It is known for the health benefits it provides. Did you know
that mackerel can make blood fresh and thin and prevent heart attacks? People who start eating
mackerel every week instead of meat wil do themselves a world of good. Ideal y we should be eating
this kind of fish at least three times a week.
Read on to know the nutritional value of mackerel:
1. Mackerel helps in reducing cancer causing agents in cel s, thus preventing the risk of different
2. It regulates the hormone level and makes blood vessels more elastic.
3. By reducing blood coagulation, mackerel eliminates the deposition of cholesterol.
4. The fish also helps in reducing bad cholesterol and lowering blood pressure.
5. It prevents cardiovascular diseases, strengthens the immune system, improves functions of organs
weakened by il ness and regulates metabolism.
6. Mackerel helps in easing the pain of migraine and arthritis. It also improves brain activity and thus,
enhances the memory.
Since mackerel contains methyl mercury, pregnant women and nursing mothers should avoid it. It can
harm a child's developing nervous system and pose a risk to mothers as wel .
Mackerel is comparatively inexpensive to buy, but you must ensure it is fresh - it's best eaten on the day
it is caught. To test if a mackerel is fresh, lift it horizontal y by the head - it shouldn't droop if it's in
To get a strong taste, marinate the mackerel with a citrus or vinegar marinade, for 15 to 30 minutes.
To bake mackerel, place it in a greased baking dish. Brush with some oil or butter and season with salt
and pepper. Bake in the oven for about 10 minutes, at 450 F (230 C), until evenly cooked.
Mix together flour, crumbs and cornmeal. Coat the mackerel fil ets with this mixture and place on the
rack above the baking dish, 3 to 4 inches away from the element. Brush with melted butter or oil and
broil for about 3 to 10 minutes, til the fish gets moist in the centre.
Combine mackerel with seasoned flour, crumbs or cornmeal. Fry the fish in hot butter or oil. Cook on
both sides until opaque and moist inside, say for about 4 to 8 minutes.
The author manages <a href="http://ashirwaadholidayaptsgoa.blogspot.com/">accommodation in goa
for groups</a>, a <a href="http://vacationplacesingoa.blogspot.com/">guest house in goa</a>, and
arranges <a href="http://vil asingoa.blogspot.com/">holiday to benaulim</a>.