History of The Dow Chemical Company’s Leadership in Chemical Security
• Dow sites participate in U.S. Department of
• Dow announces a public-private al iance with the Federal Railroad
Transportation’s National Hazmat Truck Safety &
• Dow leader Tim Overton represents chemical sector on American Society of
Administration on the Next Generation Rail Tank Car Project, a
Security Operational Test & Delphi Panel to evaluate
Manufacturing Engineers RAMCAP Standards Committee.
col aborative eﬀort between Dow, Union Paciﬁc and Union Tank Car.
security technologies for highway shipment.
• Dow unilaterally requires high-security seals on all cargo containers worldwide.
• Dow launches program with CHEMTREC to beneﬁt chemical
• Dow participates in Strategic Council on Security
• Dow completes ﬁrst round of Site Vulnerability Assessments & Upgrades and
transportation and emergency response through the surveillance of highly
Technology’s Smart & Secure Tradelanes (SST)
commences a second round.
hazardous materials in transit.
Initiative to evaluate use of new technologies to
• Dow leadership in Brazil drives adoption of Responsible Care® Security Code
• Dow establishes EU Chemical Security & Public Safety issues manage-
improve end-to-end supply chain security for
& Transportation Guidelines by national chemical industry association
international cargo shipments.
• Dow announces a Memorandum of Cooperation with Union Paciﬁc that
• Dow Chief Security Oﬃcer Tim Scott is named by
• Dow senior leader David Kepler appears before U.S. House Committee on
outlines joint goals to improve the safety and security of chemical
DHS Secretary to National Maritime Security
Science cal ing for government focus on signi cant threats to our national
• Dow and other industry leaders launch the
telecommunications infrastructure and high-risk cyber threats.
• Dow and Union Paciﬁc trained more than 1,000 emergency personnel on
American Chemistry Council's Responsible Care®
• Dow senior leader David Kepler joins U.S. Chamber of
• Dow conducts comprehensive, mutli-disciplinary eﬀort internally to evaluate
chemical and rail transportation in its TRANSCAER Training Tours.
Commerce Homeland Security Task Force.
security needs and challenges in China and other emerging markets.
• Dow Chief Security Oﬃcer Tim Scott oﬀered expert testimony before the
• Dow commences global assessment of its
• Dow makes ﬁrst public statement cal ing for U.S.
• Dow participates in Legal Obstacles Subgroup of the Information Sharing Task
House Homeland Security Subcommittee on Transportation Security and
manufacturing facilities and supply chain
national legislation to regulate all chemical facilities;
Force of the Homeland Security Advisory Council.
operations going beyond security code and
Dow continues to press for uniform, national
• Under Dow leadership, Industry works closely with U.S. Government’s Idaho
• Ava Harter, Dow Counsel, presents “Business Continuity Issues/Disaster
applying it to all facilities world-wide.
standards to this date.
National Labs to develop Cybersecurity Awareness Program for Industrial
Preparedness for Corporations” at the Annual ABA Homeland Security
• Dow partners with Association of American
• Dow leads group of industry CEOs to conduct sector
Law Institute on “Homeland Security in the Government & Private
e orts to provide
Railroads & Class 1 railroads to evaluate
wide assessment of chemical industry cyber
• Dow AgroSciences implement life-cycle cylinder tracking program using
Security”; and co-authors a paper on “New Federal Rule Dictating
vulnerabilities and de ne security measures
combination of technologies including RFID and GPS to improve security of
Anti-Terrorism Standards for Chemical Facilities” for the Washington
(Railroad Security Management Plan).
• Dow sites in 12 countries outside U.S. leverage
support to local
• Under Dow leadership, an industry team develops
Responsible Care® Security Programs to demonstrate
• Dow leadership drives complete update and revision of Chemical Industry text
• Dow completes a third round of side-impact crash experiments using
best practice guidelines for transporting hazardous
compliance with International Maritime
book on transportation risk management.
conventional tank cars.
chemicals. Chlorine Institute adopts guidelines as
Organization’s (IMO) International Ship & Port
• Dow assists in the development of the Chemical Sector Speciﬁc Plan under
• Dow achieves DHS SAFETY Act designation for all MTSA regulated
mandatory for all members.
Facility Security Code.
National Infrastructure Protection Plan.
sites in the U.S.
Dow recommits to
• Dow senior leader Kathleen Bader is named by President
• Dow leadership drives incorporation of security
• Dow leader Tim Overton serves on DHS/Oakridge National Labs Committee to develop
its participation in
to U.S. Homeland Security Advisory Council.
considerations into Chemical Distribution
Screening Criteria to be used for DHS in implementation of RAMCAP program for Chemical
the U.S. Coast
• Dow Distribution Risk Review Process is signiﬁcantly
Institute (CDI), ACC’s Responsible Carrier
upgraded to include potential terrorism scenarios and
Program & Global Safety & Quality Assessment
• Dow Chief Security Oﬃcer Tim Scott participates with DHS Secretary Chertoﬀ in ﬁrst
enhanced security countermeasures.
System (SQAS) of European Chemical Industry
National Security Forum on Chemical Security cal ing for national regulation of chemical
• Under Dow’s direction, The Chemical Sector
Council (CEFIC) for evaluation and qualiﬁcation
Cybersecurity Program is established to coordinate
of logistics service providers.
• Dow forms unprecedented Independent Advisory Panel on Chemical Security.
sector’s activity and align with U.S. Government’s
• Dow leader Tim Overton serves on Chemical
• Dow announces Next Generation Rail Tank Car, a joint project with Union Paciﬁc and Union
National Strategy to Secure Cyberspace.
Sector RAMCAP Committee to help drive
Tank Car to provide a step change in safety and security performance.
• Dow joins U.S. Customs & Border Protection’s C-TPAT
development of DHS’s Chemical sector version of
• Dow reaches out to fellow chlorine producers to establish Chlorine Rail Tank Car Development
(Customs Trade Partnership Against Terrorism) program
its new risk assessment methodology.
Coordination Panel; participating companies must commit to replacing chlorine ﬂeets with tank
and is rst chemical company to achieve highest level of
• Under Dow leadership, DHS is urged to include
cars with improved safety and security attributes by 2017.
Cybersecurity criteria as component in
• Dow launches project to put GPS tracking and condition monitoring sensors on all chlorine rail
• Dow joins Canada Partners in Protection program.
tank cars by 2007 and other highly hazardous materials by 2008.
• Dow assists in development and pilot program for U.S.
• Dow announces commitment to reduce shipment of highly hazardous materials by 50% by 2015
Government’s Sandia National Labs Risk Assessment
and a renewed commitment to TRANSCAER over next 5 years to touch every community with
Methodology. Dow col aborates with Sandia Labs on
public awareness and emergency responder training where highly hazardous materials move.
transportation security issues.
• Dow senior leader Gary Veurink addresses Center for Chemical Process Safety to reiterate Dow’s
• Dow leaders advise in development of Center for Process
call for national Chemical Security legislation.
Safety’s Alternate Risk Assessment Methodology (CCPS
• Dow makes global site security vulnerability/risk reduction commitments for manufacturing
SVA) used by majority of Industry.
sites to be reached by 2010.
• Dow is honored with U.S. Maritime Security Conference award for Maritime & Supply Chain
• Dow Chief Security Oﬃcer Tim Scott is selected as Vice-Chairman of Chemical Sector
Coordinating Council to coordinate security e orts across the industry with DHS.
• Stanford University Study recognizes Dow as one of ten “Innovators in Supply Chain Security.”
• Dow Chief Security Oﬃcer Tim Scott is named one of “25 Most Inﬂuential Security Executives”
by Security Magazine.