How to solve Error, Unable to open \ because…’ in MS Exchange Server ?
The database of Microsoft Exchange Server can get corrupt for various reasons and the most
common cause is ‘Dirty Shutdown’. This issue generates page-level, application-level, or ESE-level
corruption. Many times the corruption in Exchange database remains undetected during normal
operations and is only reflected when the user attempts to backup the database. In these corruption
situations, the user needs to carry out a Exchange Server Repair methods to extract the data.
For example, consider a scenario when an administrator, runs a backup application to take the
backup of a exchange storage group(ESG). The backup operation does not complete and the below
irritating error message pops up:
“Error, Unable to open \ because it is currently being backed up by another process.”
The above error states that database or Exchange database elements are corrupt and prevent you to
backup the storage group.
The error indicates that ESG (Exchange storage group) is in use by some other application or
process. The reason behind this error can be:
1. Another backup program is simultaneously trying to backup the Exchange Information
store. Since the database file(s) are open, the backup application take them as corrupted.
2. An antivirus application has been configured that is scanning the Exchange database files
3. You are using a backup utility that is not Exchange-aware
4. The Exchange database is corrupt and backup utility cannot read it
Following are the corresponding solutions that can help you recover from such problems:
1. Deselect the Exchange Server components, that are to be backed up by another backup
utility running on the computer
2. Disable the antivirus program to scan Exchange Server files
3. Try using a different, Exchange-aware utility
4. Restore the problem Exchange database using the last available backup or repair it using
Running Eseutil repair utility commands for corrupted or damaged Exchange database (EDB) is
not safe as the resultant database file can be out of some important data. For safe E
pair , it is
however, recommended to use a commercial Exchange server repair application. These software
scan and restore the affected database without harming the original integrity of database.
Stellar Exchange Repair software is an advanced and most efficient edb file repair utility that
repairs corrupted Exchange databases and restores the user mailboxes in separate *.pst files. The
Exchange Server Repair tool supports Exchange Server 5.5, 2000, 2003, 2007 and 2010. This edb to
pst converter can also recover the STM data in the body of an email message.