The Simple past tense
SIMPLE PAST - POSITIVE FORM:
I, you, he, she, it, we, you, they + VERB (PAST FORM) +
ESTO QUIERE DECIR QUE PARA TODAS LAS PERSONAS HAY UNA SOLO CONJUGACION . Lo
unico que hay que aprender es a formar esta conjugacion. Esto depende si es REGULAR o
The verb in the past simple form can be REGULAR or IRREGULAR
* Regular Verbs:
To from the irregular from we need to add "ed" to the infinitive form.
to watch -> watched | to talk -> talked | to wash -> washed (FIGURA 1)
REGLAS DE DELETREO
EXAMPLES: NO IMPORTA CUAL ES EL SUJETO: SIEMPRE LLEVARA LA MISMA
1) Maria played soccer last week.
2) Pedro and Juan watched TV yesterday
3) We studied for the test but we all failed.
4) They talked on the phone for two hours last night.
* Irregular verbs
The past forms of the irregular forms DO NOT end in "-ed". They have different forms and
we need to learn them gradually. Here is a list to begin with: (FIGURA 3)
Exercises : ASI SEA REGULAR O IRREGULAR TODAS LAS PERSONAS LLEVARAN LA MISMA
1) We went to the movies last weekend
2) They were hungry and ate the whole chicken.
3) She went to the mall and spent a lot of money.
4) Diego got up very late.
5) I came home early yesterday.
Complete the blanks with the correct form of the verbs in the past simple
* NEGATIVE FORM:
In the negative form we need to use the auxiliary did + not (didn't). remember that when
we use the auxiliary we put the verb in the INFINITIVE form. The auxiliary didn't is used in
the negative form with verbs that are not to be. DO NOT USE DIDN'T WITH WAS OR
TABLE # 1
Auxiliary (did) + not
Did not (didn't)
Ejemplos (TABLE # 2):
I went to school
I didn't go to school
She studied all night
She didn't study all night
They ate a lot
They didn't eat a lot
We had lunch
We didn't have lunch
* SIMPLE PAST - QUESTION FORM - TABLE # 3:
In the question form we need to use the auxiliary "Did" and we have to write the verb in
the INFINITIVE form
We can also place the question word before this structure.
QW + DID + Subject+ Verb (Infinitive)
- What did you do yesterday?
- Where did Maria go last week?
- What time did Pedro leave the party?
- When did Sarah get married?
- How many bottles of beer did they drink?
* Let's compare present simple with past simple
(-) I don't study
I didn't study
(-) She doesn't work
She didn't work
(?) Does she study?
Did she study?
(?) Do you like movies?
Did you like the movie?
*** Como vemos en esta comparacion, lo unico que cambia es el auxiliar. Recuerden que
el auxiliar DID (ademas de do y does) APARECEN EL LA FORMA NEGATIVA E
INTERROGATIVA CON VERBOS QUE NO SON TOBE.
* Short Answers (respuestas cortas)
Did you see Pam yesterday? ----- No, I didn't.
Did it rain on Sunday? ------- Yes, it did.
Did Helen come to the party? ------- No, she didn't.
Did your parents have a good trip?------ Yes, they did.
* MARCADORES DE TIEMPO DEL PASADO: TABLE
- I studied English last night.
- She finished school 3 years ago.
- Martin wanted to go to the movies yesterday.
- We went to New York 5 months ago.