Software Upgrade for Motorola BACKFLIP™ (3.0.1390)
This is a software upgrade for AT&T-Motorola BACKFLIP users who are currently using Android™ 1.5 (Cupcake) software
versions. The 3.0.1390 upgrade for Motorola BACKFLIP provides new features from Android 2.1 (Eclair) and the latest
version of MOTOBLUR™.
Who Can Use This Release
All Motorola/AT&T BACKFLIP users.
Highlights of the Upgrade
● More Google™ apps – Google Speech-to-Text™, Google Maps Navigation (BETA)™, Google Voice Search™ and
others have been added to make your BACKFLIP device even more functional
● Android Market™ - Updated Market app and access to a larger range of apps, specifically designed for devices using
Android 2.0 or later
● More home screen panels –7 customizable home screen panels so you have more room for your shortcuts and
● New and enhanced widgets – Customizable filters, ability to resize widgets, plus new widgets like Contact Quick
Tasks and Sticky Note
● Corporate email access – Corporate email can now be pushed immediately to your phone
● Improved Media Gallery - Media Gallery has been enhanced for better interaction with your media
Preserved Phone Settings
● Many data and settings will be preserved. These include: Text Messages. Contacts, Home Screen configuration,
Recent Call log, Speed Dial, Bookmarks, Wi-Fi settings, Bluetooth pairings, and Corporate Sync setup (except for
● You will be automatically logged in to MOTOBLUR after the upgrade.
● Android Market applications that were downloaded before the software upgrade takes place will be restored. Some
may need to be removed and re-installed in order to work properly (e.g., Google Voice™). Visit the Android Market
to reinstall any applications. However, Motorola does not guarantee all 3rd party applications that were previously
downloaded will be compatible with Android 2.1(Eclair).
● Motorola has developed this upgrade to provide an enhanced experience for BACKFLIP owners with new features and
improvements to existing features. However with the additional software included on the phone, some users may
experience slower operation of some phone functions.
● Please note that after the upgrade you will not be able to restore your device back to Android 1.5 (Cupcake).
● Upgrade will take up to 40 minutes, depending on the speed of your Internet connection. The first time powering up
the phone after the upgrade may take up to 10 minutes.
● Some data and settings will not be preserved. These include: Ringtones, Volume, Display, Screen Lock password,
Wallpaper, Contact shortcuts, Corporate Sync passwords, and Instant Messaging login information.
● While media saved on your SD card will be preserved, DRM-protected media stored on your phone's internal memory
will not be preserved.
● You will need to sign back in to your Google account to restore Google Contacts™, Google Calendar™, and Gmail™.
● Bluetooth devices may need to be re-paired.
● Contacts that were merged manually will need to be re-linked.
● After upgrade, available device memory will be reduced by approximately 40MB. To install the upgrade, you must
have at least 40MB of device memory available.
● After the upgrade, your contacts and email from Google and MOTOBLUR may take up to 60 minutes to synchronize.
The device may appear slower during this initial synchronization process.
● You will not be able place or receive calls during the upgrade.
How to Install the Upgrade
Please go to www.motorola.com/BACKFLIP-eclair-upgrade and follow the instructions.
Upgrade Installation Support
Click here for AT&T customer care or click here for Motorola customer care.
After downloading and installing the software upgrade, you will notice:
Enhanced Home Screen
● The phone now supports up to 7 home screens.
● Happenings and Messaging widget content can be filtered with new
customizable filters (e.g. contact group).
● Widgets can be resized on the home screen by touching and holding a
widget until a vibration is felt, then dragging the corners to expand or
● Calendar widget distinguishes personal and work appointments with
● Contact Quick Tasks allows you to easily access your favorite contacts by
using a widget you customize for your home screen.
● Date and Time displays the time (in digital or analog) and date on your
● Device Toggle makes it easy to turn on/off frequently used functions on
your phone (Bluetooth, GPS, Wi-Fi, etc.).
● Sticky Note allows you to save a quick little note on the home screen.
● Email multi-select is available in every email account.
● The phone now supports having more than one Gmail account.
● Corporate email can be pushed immediately to you.
Push Corporate Email and Corporate Directory
● Global Address List can be used to find co-workers’ email addresses.
● New versions of the following are included: Gmail, Google Browser™,
Google Calendar, Google Sync™, Enhanced Google Search™ from
Updated Google Mobile Services
Google Search Bar™, Android Market, and YouTube™.
● New features include: Places™, Google Talk™, and Speech to Text.
● Turn-by-turn GPS navigation with voice guidance
● Starred locations are now automatically synchronized between Google
Google Maps™ Updates
Maps on your desktop and Google Maps on your BACKFLIP device.
● With suggested search terms also synced with your desktop Google Maps
search history, it’s even easier to keep track of your favorite places.
● Motorola Media Gallery consolidates photos and videos into one gallery
Consolidated Media Gallery
and includes new editing features.
● This software upgrade also includes the following: Contact Manager,
Other New Features
Battery Manager, new Unlock Screen, and improved RSS Feeds for
Certain features, services and applications are network dependent and may not be available in all areas; additional terms, conditions and/or
charges may apply. Specific functionality and features with each software version of Android may vary. Contact your service provider for details.
MOTOROLA, the Stylized M Logo and MOTOBLUR are trademarks or registered trademarks of Motorola Trademark Holdings, LLC. The
Bluetooth trademarks are owned by their proprietor and used under license. The Facebook trademark is a registered trademark of Facebook,
Inc. Android, Android Market, Google, Google Voice, Google Contacts, Google Search, Gmail, Google Browser, Google Calendar, YouTube,
Google Places, Google Talk, Google Maps, Google Sync, Google Speech-to-Text, Google Search Bar, Google Maps Navigation (BETA) and
Google Voice Search are trademarks owned by Google, Inc. All other product and service names are the property of their respective owners. ©
2010 Motorola Mobility, Inc. All rights reserved.