Ten Symptoms of the Need for
THE CENTER FOR
More Effective Team Building
STUDENT LEADERSHIP &
The Complete Idoit’s Guide to Team Building
1. People have opinions they do not
express in the group.
Team Building Activities for Every Group
University at Buffalo
2. In group discussion, opinions are
often stated to which nobody
50 Creative Team Openers and Energizers
Bob Pike and Lynn Solem
3. There is confusion about
Team Games for Trainers
4. The group’s plans are consistently
determined by one person or by a
25 Activities for Developing Team Leaders
5. People are more concerned with
exercising power in the group
The Big Book of Humorous Training Games
than with trying to get the job
Doni Tamblyn and Sharyn Weiss
6. Differences and conflicts within
the group are denied, suppressed,
7. There are noticeable grievances
and complaints among team
8. There is a high degree of tension.
* These and other resources are available in the
9. There is little understanding of or
Leadership Development Center’s Resource
commitment to the group’s goals.
Library. Come in and check them out!
10. There is little commitment to take
THE CENTER FOR STUDENT
LEADERSHIP & COMMUNITY
action on the group’s decision.
235 Student Union
University at Buffalo
Buffalo, NY 14260
UNDERSTANDING TEAM BUILDING
Ten Characteristics of
Team—an energetic group of
Recipe for Successful Team Building
1. People comment that they enjoy
people who are committed to
being members of the team.
achieving common objectives, who
work well together and enjoy doing
• A block of uninterrupted time (2-4 hours)
2. The official team leader helps to
so, and who produce high quality
• A comfortable, informal environment
create a supportive team
• A relaxed, open-minded group of people
3. Members feel little tension when
• An agenda of activities to stimulate
Team Building—the process of
growth, sharing, and bonding
creating a team.
4. Differences and conflicts are
5. Members feel free to express
The foundation of good teamwork is having a shared commitment to common
ideas, thoughts, and concerns.
objectives. Without this, all other forms of team building will have a limited
6. Members listen to each other
impact. Before using any team building exercise you need to put a foundation of
and respect comments and
shared commitment in place by:
• Clarifying the team goals.
7. The people who influence a
• Building ownership and commitment to those goals across the team.
team decision most are those
• Identifying any issue which inhibits the team from reaching their goals.
who are most informed about
the topic at hand.
• Addressing those issues, removing the inhibitors, and thereby enabling the
goals to be achieved.
8. Members have a high degree of
confidence and trust in each
Ground Rules for Team Building
• Respect the differences of those that you may come in contact with.
9. Members understand and
• Behave in such a manner that is positive to the mission of your organization.
believe in the team’s goals.
• Be open minded.
10. When the team takes action,
clear assignments are made and
• Be patient.
• Challenge yourself and others to become a better leader and team member.
• Have fun!